Monday, May 11, 2015

A Tribute



Petunia the Pitbull Puppy


I normally use this space to write about my life but today I'd like to talk to you about someone else.
specifically, Aimee Gilbreath. She did something extraordinary. 

She adopted a puppy. 

Oh, it wasn't just any puppy. It was a Pit Bull puppy. But again, not just any Pit Bull puppy. A Pit Bull puppy with a cleft lip. This is Petunia the Pit Bull puppy's story.
  

Petunia was born in December 2014 with a bilateral cleft lip, cleft of the hard and soft palate, and hydrocephaly.  The backyard breeder who created her was kind enough to tube feed baby Petunia and keep her alive, but unwilling to put any money into her medical care when it became clear she would not be salable. Fortunately, instead of having Petunia euthanized or relinquishing her to a shelter the breeder turned the puppy over to rescue in early April 2015.

When Petunia arrived she weighed less than two pounds at nearly 14 weeks of age and was suffering from malnutrition and related complications. She was so sad and listless that first day it was not clear whether she had a chance. Fortunately, immediate veterinary treatment and round the clock care have turned Petunia into a happy, spunky puppy.  She has gained a pound and a half in less than three weeks and is now tipping the scales at over three pounds - more than a 50% increase in her body weight! Petunia now plays, barks, wags her tail and acts like a typical puppy.  She does not know that she is different and she's not letting her medical issues interfere with her enjoyment of life.

Petunia's medical team is optimistic that she can live a very happy life, which is great news.  The challenge is that getting her to that point is going to be a long and expensive process.  Petunia will need MRI imaging and at least one major surgery (and possibly more) to correct her severe cleft palate. UPDATE:  Our wonderful vets are giving Petunia an amazing discount so the estimate for her procedures has dropped from $20,000 to $12,000!  This is stunning because it includes an MRI an CT scan as well as the two surgeries she will need!
Petunia's foster Mama thinks that she can have a long and happy life and is fully committed to giving her that opportunity.  Will you please help give Petunia the future she deserves?  Any amount helps and all funds raised will go to cover the costs of Petunia's care.

Petunia's foster Mama thinks that she can have a long and happy life and is fully committed to giving her that opportunity.  Will you please help give Petunia the future she deserves?  Any amount helps and all funds raised will go to cover the costs of Petunia's care.

http://www.petuniapit.com/

This is from the fundraising website Aimee created for Petunia's medical expenses. But sadly Petunia lost her battle yesterday, Mother's day. This is from "Petunia's" Facebook page:











Dear Friends -
It is with a very heavy heart that I write to share the awful news that our dear sweet Petunia puppy left this earth last night. After a fantastic day filled with romping, snuggling, naps and playtime she suddenly lost consciousness and stopped breathing around 8pm. We rushed her to the emergency room doing CPR along the way, but she could not be revived. We don't know exactly what happened, and it does not matter, for she is gone. Petunia crossed the rainbow bridge cradled in my arms and I am convinced that it was very quick and painless for her.
As you might imagine, I am devastated. I loved Petunia in ways that I did not know were possible and I am still struggling with disbelief that she is gone. Though I always knew that her medical future was uncertain I really hoped to give her a long, happy life spreading cuteness and joy.
Petunia was such a special girl - sweet, sassy, and soulful - and I am trying to take solace in the fact that we had an amazing month together. I know that many of you loved her as I did and will also be crushed by this loss. Petunia was privileged to have so many people from near and far love her. I am grateful to all of you for supporting her journey and I am so sorry to have to share this terrible news.
Over the next few days I will be dealing with the wrap up of her fundraiser with details to be announced soon. If you have questions or suggestions please PM me here.
Tearfully,
Mama


I know I wasn't the only one who cried today, for a precious soul that was taken from us too soon. I know her foster Mama did everything possible for the little life she chose to save. My heart is breaking for sweet Aimee again today as it was yesterday as it will be tomorrow. I’m sharing her website information if anyone would like to contribute to the legacy of Petunia for other medically challenged fur babies. I know we can’t save them all but in the end, they all leave paw prints on our hearts no matter how long, or how short a time they spend with us.
















No comments:

Post a Comment